Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Jumping on the freezer food bandwagon!

Normally, I'm a good wife. I try my beset to have dinner ready, on the table (or at least in the oven) by the time my husband comes home from work in the evening. The last few weeks has made it nearly impossible to do this, however. Juggling class projects, finals, work, job interviews and general life maintenance caused me to be out of the house a good 13-14 hours a day. This meant that I've been arriving home at the same time, or later, than both my husband and my roommate. This experience has taught me 2 very important facts:
  1. The men in my house are useless in pretty much all things house related. 
  2. If I don't cook, everyone will starve. Literally. They just don't eat. I mean, how hard is it to throw a couple hot dogs on!?
With a normal full time job on the horizon (YAY!) I decided that it would probably be a good idea to prep some easy, man proof meals. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all men are useless in the kitchen. In fact, I know that's not true. I've known many guys that have much more skill than I do in this area. Hell, even my roommate claims to be some sort of master chef who enjoys spending time in the kitchen. This is proven by the fact that he has prepared dinner a total of 3 times since December; two of which involved him ordering pizza. With mushrooms which I'm allergic to and can't eat. WIN!

So, in order to possibly remedy this situation I've decided to join in the new freezer meal fad! I figured that worse case scenario, I can start my day by tossing a bag of whatever into the crock pot and be on my merry way. At least then I will get to eat legitimate food rather than Taco Bell, Dominoes or, my personal favorite, beer. I started out small by prepping 5 different meals, each of which will probably have a day or so of left overs. So, technically, my prepped meals should feed us dinner for at least a week. If this goes well (meaning if the guys are able to comprehend this advanced concept) then I'm considering shopping and planning 2 weeks at a time. A week at a time seems too time consuming and I don't think my freezer is big enough for a month. Also, you have to keep in mind that freezer meals will be somewhat useless during the zombie apocalypse. Once the power goes out all of your food will go bad so you don't want to prep too far in advance or you'll just ruin a bunch of food. We can't have that now can we?

Part of the aftermath to my Costco shopping spree.
Here is the cliff's note version: I created 5 main courses to put in the freezer and save for days when I am unable to be home to make dinner. The reason I only did main courses is that my crock pot is actually really small. Much smaller than I would like it to be. If this experiment goes well then I'm going to invest in a larger one. I found an AWESOME deal on a clearance one that I've been tempted to pick up every time I go into work. I also invested in some really good Ziploc brand bags, rather than the cheapy ones I usually pick up from the dollar store. I figured I'd better be safe than sorry. On each bag I used a Sharpie to write what the meal was, how long to put it in the oven/crock pot and at what temperature, and a recommended side. I highly doubt the boys will be able to handle making a side, but it doesn't hurt to try! In each bag I put all the vegetables, meat, spices and broth needed for the meal. The only thing they need to add is a bit of water if the pot starts getting low. Hopefully that won't be necessary but I had to add it on the bags just in case. You pretty much have to spell out every.single.step involved in the processes or something will blow up. And if they blow up my crock pot I'm going to be pissed.

The meals (Just a heads up, I used a lot of chicken. Mainly because it was on sale...):

Crock Pot BBQ Chicken:
 
Ingredients: 
  •  I used 3 thighs and 3 drumsticks, but that will vary depending on how many people you're cooking for. 
  • 2 cups of BBQ sauce, which ended up being about 1/2 a bottle. I used sweet and spicy.  =)
  • 3 small white onions, diced. 
  • 3 Tbs. minced garlic. There's a chance I may have added more than that. I LOVE garlic. 
  • 2 small tomatoes, cut however the heck you like really. I just sliced them up. 
  • 3 tsp. hot sauce, for a little bit of zest. 
  • Salt and pepper to taste.     
How to:
Easy enough. Just pour the bag into the crock pot with 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for about 6. Ish. I recommend pairing this with mashed potatoes. That is probably because I'm obsessed with mashed potatoes...

Crock Pot Chicken Marinara:
 
Ingredients:

  • Again, I used 3 thighs and 3 legs. Because I'm awesome like that. And I like symmetry.
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Or more... I'm unhealthy. 
  • 1 jar of marinara sauce. I used the store-bought stuff but that meant I had to add more spices.
  • 1 Tbs. oregano
  • 1 Tbs. basil
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 3 diced tomatoes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
How to:
Pretty much the same as above. Put the contents of the bag into the crock pot with 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for about 6. I bought a few loaves of garlic bread to put in the freezer and cook as needed. 

Crock Pot Lemon-Herb Chicken and Asparagus:
 
Ingredients:
  • Once again, 3 chicken thighs and 3 legs.
  • 1 bunch of asparagus, which is about 6-7 stalks. Can you measure asparagus in stalks?
  • 3 small tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 Tbs. basil
  • 1 Tbs. oregano
  • 1 Tbs. minced onion
  • 2 Tbs. minced garlic
  • 1/2 Tbs. celery seed (crushed, whole... doesn't really matter)
  • Salt and pepper to taste. I like a decent amount of pepper with this recipe. 
How to:
Same old, same old. Pour the contents of the back into the crock pot with about 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-ish. I'm a big fan of steamed rice with this meal. White or brown. 

Crock Pot Pot Roast:
 
Ingredients: 

  • 3 to 3 1/2 pound beef pot roast
  • 1 pkg brown gravy mix
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • 2 cups sliced baby carrots
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup diced green peppers
  • 3 Tbs. minced garlic
  • 1/2 can beef broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Salt and pepper to taste
How to:
Add bag contents to the crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-7. Sauce should thicken as it cooks, but if it doesn't add 1-2 Tbs. of flour and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. I really like cooking this with diced, roasted potatoes with garlic olive oil and rosemary. 

And, lastly, Baked Italian Seasoned Chicken with Veggies:
 
Ingredients: 

  • 6 thighs and 6 legs. Gotcha didn't I? My baking pans are bigger than my crock pot. lol
  • 5 Tbs. Italian Seasoning (basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, sage and thyme)
  • 3 Tbs. minced garlic
  • 1 large green pepper
  • 1 large red pepper
  • 3 small tomatoes
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste

How to: 
Put contents of the Ziploc into a 13"x9" baking dish and cook for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees. Really any kind of pasta is great with this. Then again... I love carbs. A lot. 


That was it for my first attempt. I'll let you know if it was a massive success or not. Or, even somewhat of a success. I'll take whatever I can get at this point in time. There are still a ton more non-chicken meals that I'm looking forward to trying, but the next crock pot meal will definitely be loaded baked potato soup. Oh man that sounds amazing!




Until next time folks!




2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine being as busy as you are and then having to cook dinner! It was smart of you to test out the freezer/crock pot meals! I'm always home by 3 pm so I have no excuse not to cook dinner, haha.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how it used to be for me: Up early, home early. I definitely miss those days!

    ReplyDelete