Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Rainy Weather = Soup Weather!

Yesterday, it was raining. I HATE when it rains. Not only is it cold and windy outside, but I'm stuck in the house with 2 restless dogs desperate to go to the park. They just sit there and look at me all sad like. It's just pathetic. So, rather than sit there and stare down my dogs, I decided it was a good day for soup! I've had a massive craving for potato soup lately so I decided to cave and go for it. My initial inclination was to use my crock pot but because mine is ridiculously small, I had to upgrade and use my stock pot on the stove. Oh well, I can adapt!

Without further ado, I give you loaded baked potato soup. This is definitely tied for first place for my favorite soup of all time. It is SO filling and pretty much terrible for you, so be aware. lol

Ingredients:


  • 7 or 8 medium sized potatoes, cubed in 1/2 pieces  (Ish.)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 5 cups of chicken broth   (I prefer the unsalted kind.)
  • 4 Tbs. minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter 
  • 2 tsp. salt   (Add more to taste at the end of cooking.)
  • 3 tsp. pepper 
  • 1 1/ 2 cups of half & half
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped chives, or green onions if you're like me and every store you go to is out of chives   (REALLY!? I went to 3 stores!)
  • 1 cup sour cream   (This is totally options, but totally recommended!)
  • 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
  • Cheese and bacon bits for a topping, if desired
How To: 

Mid-cooking.
In a large stock pot combine the potatoes, onion, garlic, butter, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil then continue cooking on medium-low for 45 minutes to an hour, or until potatoes are soft. Stir in the cream, cheese, bacon, and chives. Simmer on low until the mixture is thickened. Serve topped with sour cream and (if you're terribly unhealthy like me) extra bacon bits, chives and cheese. Makes 12-15 cups.

And here's your end result!
 If you'd like to do this recipe in the crock pot you can follow the same instructions but, rather than a stock pot, you can slow cook everything on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 prior to adding the cream, bacon, cheese and chives. It's just as amazing, I'm just impatient!

Hope y'all enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. YUM! I made a similar potato soup in the winter and it was so delicious and comforting. I can't think of anything better to eat on a cold, rainy day!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete